- Saeed Al Ghaferi, Emirates Steel Industries
- Saeed Ghumran Al Remeithi, Emirates Steel Industries
- Mohammed Al-Jabr, Al-Jabr Economic Consultancy
- Chris Barrington, IIMA (International Iron Metallics Association)
- Valentina Burrai, Wood Mackenzie
- Abhishek Choudhary, Tata Steel
- DP Deshpande, Tata Sponge
- Deependra Kashiva, Sponge Iron Manufacturers Association
- Brian Levich, Metal Bulletin Research
- Jon Mulcahy, Metal Bulletin Index
- Jitendra Nanda, Essar Steel Limited
- Mohammad Reza Nikousokhan, Iran International Engineering Company (IRITEC)
- Humberto Oliveira, Vale International SA
- Appala Poodi, Emirates Steel Industries
- Kaushalendra Prasad, KP Global Consulting
- Tanay Ray, Tata Steel
- Gopal Seenivasagam, EZZ Steel
- Keyvan Jafari Tehrani, IROPEX
Iron ore miners, Steel mills, Technology providers, Traders, Brokers,exchanges,commercial and investment banking, Mining analysts & inspectors, Legal consultants, Shipping & Ports
Day One: Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Session I: Laying the foundations for a stronger steel industry
9:00am Embracing the future in the Middle East
- Has steel production overtaken DRI production in terms of digitalisation and has this inequality been detrimental to improving DRI production?
- Which areas in the DRI process requires new technical and operational systems to increase production?
- What is the timeframe of installing new tools and system revamps and what are the long-term benefits of this form of investment?
Saeed Ghumran Al Remeithi, CEO, Emirates Steel
9:30am Vale - a long term supplier of DR Pellets to the market
Humberto Oliveira, Vale International SA
10:00am Short-term supply and demand trends for Middle Eastern steel and DRI production
- An analysis of the current supply and demand balances of long and flat steel within MENA.
- Which countries import the most steel into the Middle East from outside of MENA and can demand be quickly met by companies within this region?
- What MENA countries have made the greatest strides in steel and DRI capacity? Why has this occurred and is it set to continue?
Brian Levich, Consultancy and Special Projects Director, Metal Bulletin Research
10:30am Networking refreshment break
Session II: Understanding ever-changing market dynamics
11:15am DR pellet premiums and Metal Bulletin’s new pricing indices
- What is the short term forecast for iron ore prices and global steel demand?
- How will Metal Bulletin’s DR pellet premiums benefit the market?
- How would new Middle East and European pricing indices create greater transparency in the DRI pricing market?
Jon Mulcahy, Price Development Manager, Metal Bulletin Index
11:45am HBI updates within the merchant market
- Are there new HBI producers that could increase the availability of HBI on the global market and how would this affect current trade flows?
- What have been the recent changes in merchant HBI regulations that companies should be aware of?
- Has there been progress on creating a new schedule for DRI fines (DRI D) within the IMSBC Code?
Chris Barrington, Secretary General, IIMA (International Iron Metallics Association)
12:15pm Networking lunch
Session III: Supply and demand of iron ore feedstock
1:45pm Using Blast Furnace (BF) grade pellets in DRI reactors
- What market factors have caused steel mills to turn to using BF pellets in DRI reactors?
- Have there been any noticeable successes or lessons learnt when undertaking this process?
- When more DR grade pellets return to the market will steel makers continue to utilise BF pellets in DRI reactors?
Appala Poodi, Direct Reduction Plant Manager, Emirates Steel Industries
Gopal Seenivasagam, Plant Manager, EZZ Steel
2:30pm Steel scrap as an alternative to DRI
- What successes have steel makers had when utilising scrap as an alternative to DRI?
- Apart from a lack of DR grade pellets, what factors have made steel mills turn to scrap as an alternative feedstock? Have governmental regulations or other market dynamics contributed greatly to this shift towards scrap?
- How much steel scrap is available and what is the quality of this feedstock?
- As the shortage of DR grade pellets continues, will steel scrap begin to have a larger role in steel making with the Middle East?
Saeed Al Ghaferi, Vice President Supply Chain Management, Emirates Steel Industries
3:00pm Networking refreshment break
3:45pm Cost reduction & productivity improvement in iron ore grinding process
- What are the multiple projects which have led to cost reduction and productivity improvement at grinding unit of pellet plant Tata Steel?
- How did optimising the Ball mill and Ball mill feed impact the overall productivity and operating cost of the plant?
- What are the challenges faced post improving grinding productivity?
Abhishek Choudhary, Senior Manager- Operation, Tata Steel
4:15pm Global outlook at current and future raw material procurement
- Are there untapped iron ore mines outside of the Middle East that have the potential to have a positive impact on the DRI supply chain?
- Can Samarco be expected to return to production in 2018 and how long would it take to return to the same levels of production before the 2015 closure?
- Which countries are currently producing the raw material that could be beneficial to the Middle East region? Could more be done to procure this raw material?
Kaushalendra Prasad, Chairman and Managing Director, KP Global Consulting
Mohammed Al-Jabr, Consultant, Al-Jabr Economic Consultancy
5:00pm Welcome drinks reception
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER YOUR INTEREST
Day Two: Thursday, April 26, 2018
Session IV: Giants of DRI production - India and Iran
9:00am India and Iran’s 2025 DRI production and exportation forecasts
- What are the projected DRI production figures for both Iran and India by 2025?
- Are production rates predicted to continue on an upwards trajectory? If not, what indicators are there that future production and exportation of DRI will stall?
- Could India overtake Iran and reinstate its position as the world’s largest DRI producer?
Valentina Burrai, Senior Research Manager, Wood Mackenzie
9:30am Iran: the world’s leading DRI producer
- In March 2017 Iran became the largest producer of DRI but what challenges are facing exportation?
- Are the Iranian government’s export duties helping or hindering the development of the Iranian DRI industry?
- To increase industry growth can Iran moderate between both the production and supply of DRI and pellets for Iran’s domestic market and export markets?
Mohammad Reza Nikousokhan, Iran International Engineering Company (IRITEC)
Keyvan Jafari Tehrani, CEO, IROPEX
10:15am Networking refreshment break
10:45am Case study: Improvement journey of pelletizing process in Tata Steel, India
- What were the challenges that Tata steel faced at its 6 MTPA pellet plant?
- How did Tata Steel’s 3R initiatives (Reuse, Recycle and Reduce) contribute to waste management techniques as well as utilising various steel plant wastes?
- Can the lessons learnt be used to plan and run future pellet plants with increased sustainability?
Tanay Ray, Senior Manager - Process Analyst, Tata Steel
11:15am India’s steel and DR grade production capacity
- To what extent will India’s National Steel Policy 2017 lead to increasing domestic consumption of DRI?
- Will this impact the MENA region?
- As gas based DRI plants in India have started to use coal gas, corex gas and coke oven gas to replace limited natural gas, what effect will this have on the quantity and quality of Indian DRI?
- Can Indian iron ore producers achieve a harmonious balance between domestic consumption and international exports?
Deependra Kashiva, Executive Director, Sponge Iron Manufacturers Association
DP Deshpande, Ex-managing director, Chairman, Tata Sponge
Jitendra Nanda, Vice President - Raw Materials, Essar Steel Limited
12:00pm Networking lunch and end of conference